Week Beginning 19th December 2022

This was the last week before the Christmas holidays, and Friday was a holiday.  I spent some time on Monday making further updates to the Speech Star data.  I fixed some errors in the data and made some updates to the error type descriptions.  I also made ‘poster’ images from the latest batch of child speech videos I’d created last week as this was something I’d forgotten to do at the time.  I also fixed some issues with the non-disordered speech data, including changing a dash to an underscore in the filenames of the files for one speaker as there had been a mismatch between filenames and metadata, causing none of the videos to open in the site.  I also created records for two projects (The Gentle Shepherd and Speak For Yersel) on this very site (see https://digital-humanities.glasgow.ac.uk/projects/last-updated/) as these are the projects I’ve been working on that have actually launched in the past year.  Other major ones such as Books and Borrowing and Speech Star are not yet ready to share.  I also updated all of the WordPress sites I manage to the latest version.

On Tuesday I travelled into the University to locate my new office.  My stuff had been moved across last week after a leak in the building resulted in water pouring through my office.  Plus work is ongoing to fix the dry rot in the building and I would have needed to move out for that anyway.  It took a little time to get the new office in order and to get my computer equipment set up, but once it was all done it was actually a very nice location – much nicer than the horrible little room I’m usually stuck in.

I spent most of Tuesday upgrading Google Analytics for all of the sites I manage that use it.  Google’s current analytics system is being retired in July next year and I decided to use the time in the run-up to Christmas to migrate the sites over to the new Google Analytics 4 platform.  This was a mostly straightforward process, although as usual Google’s systems feel clunky and counterintuitive at times.  It was also a fairly lengthy process as I had to update the code for each site un question.  Nevertheless I managed to get it done and informed all of the staff whose websites would be affected by the change.  I also had a further chat with Geert, the editor of the Anglo-Norman Dictionary about the new citation edit feature I’m planning at the moment.

On Wednesday I had a meeting with prospective project partners in Strathclyde about a speech therapy proposal we’re putting together.  It was good to meet people and to discuss things.  I’ll be working on the Data Management Plan for the proposal after the holidays.  I spent the rest of the day working on my paper for the workshop I’m attending in Zurich in the second week of January.  I have now finished the paper, which is quite a relief.

On Thursday I spent some time working for the Dictionaries of the Scots Language.  I responded to an email from Ann Fergusson about how we should handle links to ancillary pages in the XML.  There are two issues here that need to be agreed upon.  The first issue is how to represent links to things other than entries in the entry XML.  We currently have the <ref> element that is used to link from one entry to another (e.g. <ref refid=”snd00065761″>Chowky</ref>).  We could use the HTML element <a> in the XML for links to things other than entries but I personally think it’s best not to use this as (in my opinion) it’s better for XML elements to be meaningful when you look at them and the meaning of <a> isn’t especially clear.  It might be better to use <ref> with a different attribute instead of ‘refid’, for example <ref url=”https://dsl.ac.uk/geographical-labels”>.  Reusing <ref> means we don’t need to update the DTD (the rules that define which elements can be used where in the XML) to add a new element.

Of course other people may think that inventing our own way of writing HTML links is daft when everyone is already familiar with <a href=”https://dsl.ac.uk/geographical-labels”> and we could use the latter if people prefer.  If this is the case we would need to update the DTD to allow such elements to be used.  If we didn’t update the DTD the XML files would fail to validate.

Whichever way is chosen, there is a second issue that will need to be addressed:  I will need to update the XSLT that transforms the XML into HTML to tell the script how to handle either a <ref> with a ‘url’ attribute or a <a> with an ‘href’ attribute.  Without updating the XSLT the links won’t work.  I can add such a rule in when we decide how best to represent links in the XML.

I also made a couple of tweaks to the wildcard search term highlighting feature I was working on last week and then published the update on the live DSL site.  Now when you perform a search for something like ‘chr*mas’ and then select an entry to view any work that matches the wildcard pattern will be highlighted.  For example, go to this page: https://dsl.ac.uk/results/chr*mas/fulltext/withquotes/both/ and then select one of the entries and you’ll see the term highlighted in the entry page.

That’s all from me for this year.  Merry chr*mas one and all!