Week Beginning 13th September 2021

This week I attended a team meeting for the STAR project (via Teams) where we discussed how the project is progressing in these early weeks, including the various mockups I’d made for the main and academic sites.  We decided to mix and match various elements from the different mockups and I spent a bit of time making a further two possibilities based on our discussions.  I also had an email conversation with Jennifer Smith and E Jamieson about some tweaks to how data are accessed in the Scots Syntax Atlas, but during our discussions it turned out that what they wanted was already possible with the existing systems, so I didn’t need to do anything, which was great.  I also had a chat with Marc Alexander about my PDR, which I will be having next week, actually in person which will be the first time I’ve seen anyone from work in the flesh since the first lockdown began.  Also this week I read through all of the documentation for the ‘Speak for Yersel’ project, which begins this month.  We have a project meeting via Zoom next Monday, and I’ll be developing the systems and website for the project later on this year.

I spent the rest of the week continuing to work on the Anglo-Norman Dictionary site.  There was an issue with the server during the week and it turned out that database requests from the site to the AND API were being blocked at server level.  I had to speak to Arts IT Support about this and thankfully all was reinstated.  It also transpired that the new server we’d ordered for the AND had been delivered in August and I had to do some investigation to figure out what had happened to it.  Hopefully Arts IT Support will be able to set it up in the next couple of weeks and we’ll be able to migrate the AND site and all of its systems over to the new hardware soon after.  This should hopefully help with both the stability of the site and its performance.

I also made a number of updates to both the systems and the content of the Textbase this week, based on feedback I received last week.  Geert wanted one of the texts to be split into two individual texts so that they aligned with the entries in the bibliography, and it took a bit of time to separate them out.  This required splitting the XML files and also updating all of the page records and search data relating to the pages.  Upon completion it all seems to be working fine, both for viewing and searching.  I also updated a number of the titles of the Textbase texts, removed the DEAF link sections from the various Textbase pages and ensured that the ‘siglum’ (the link through to the AND bibliography with an abbreviated form of text’s title) appeared in both the list of texts within the search form and in the text names that appear in the search results.  I also changed all occurrences of ‘AND source’ to ‘AND bibliography’ for consistency and removed one of the texts that had somehow been added to the Textbase when it shouldn’t have (probably because someone many moons ago had uploaded its XML file to the text directory temporarily and had then forgotten to remove it).