I spent a lot of this week continuing with the Anglo-Norman Dictionary, including making some changes to the proofreader feature I created recently. I tweaked the output of this so that there is now a space between siglum and ‘MS’, ‘edgloss’ now has brackets and there is now a blank paragraph before the ‘summary’ section and also before the ‘cognate refs’ section to split things up a bit. I also added some characters (~~) before and after the ‘summary’ section to help split things up and added extra spaces before and after sense numbers, and square brackets around them (because background styles, which give the round, black circle are not carried over into Word when the content is copied). I also added more spaces round the labels, added an extra line break before locutions and made the locution phrase appear in bold.
I also spent some time investigating some issues with the data, for example a meaning was not getting displayed in the summary section of https://anglo-norman.net/entry/chaucer_3 because the part of speech labels didn’t quite match up (one was ‘subst.’, the other was ‘sbst.’) and updated the entry display so that the ‘form section’ at the top of an entry gets displayed even if there is no ‘cognate refs’ section. My code repositions the ‘formSection’ so it appears before ‘cognateRefs’ and as it was not finding this section it wasn’t repositioning the forms anywhere – instead they just disappeared. I therefore updated the code to ensure that the forms will only be repositioned if the ‘cognateRefs’ section is present, and this has fixed the matter.
I also responded to a request for data from a researcher at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin who wanted information on entries that featured specific grammatical labels. As of yet the advanced search does not include a part of speech search, but I could generate the necessary data from the underlying database. I also ran a few queries to update further batches of bad dates in the system.
My initial version allowed an editor to add Text and MS dates using the input boxes and then by pressing the ‘Generate XML’ button the ‘XML’ box is populated and the date as it would be displayed on the site is also displayed. I amalgamated the ‘proof’ and ‘Build XML’ options from the old DMS as it seemed more useful to just do both at the same time. There is also a ‘clear’ button that does what you’d expect it to do and a ‘log’ that displays feedback about the date. E.g. if the date doesn’t conform to the expected pattern (yyyy / yyyy-yyyy / yyyy-yy / yyyy-y) or one of the characters isn’t a number or the date after the dash is earlier than the date before the dash then a warning will be displayed here. The XML area is editable so if needs be the content can be manually tweaked. There is also a ‘Copy XML’ button to copy the contents of the XML area to the clipboard.
Also this week I set up some new user accounts for the Books and Borrowing project, I gave Luca Guariento some feedback about an AHRC proposal, I had to deal with the server and database going down a few times and I added a new publication to the SCOSYA website.
Finally, I made some further tweaks to the Comparative Kingship content management systems for Scottish and Irish placenames. When I set up the two systems I’d forgotten to add the x-refs section into the form. The code was all there to handle them, but the section wasn’t appearing. I therefore updated both Scotland and Ireland so x-refs now appear. I’d also noticed that some of the autogenerated lists that appear when you type into boxes in the Ireland site(e.g. xrefs) were pointing to the Scotland database and therefore bringing back the wrong data and I fixed this too.
I also added all of the sources from the Kirkcudbrightshire system to the Scotland CMS and replaced the Scotland elements database with the one from KCB as well, which required me to check the elements already associated with names to ensure they point to the same data. Thankfully all did except the existing name ‘Rhynie’, which was newly added and its ID ended up referencing an entirely different element from the KCB database, but I fixed this. I also fixed a bug with the name and element deletion code that was preventing things for getting deleted.