Week Beginning 22nd February 2021

I had a couple of Zoom meetings this week, then first on Monday was with the Historical Thesaurus team and members of the Oxford English Dictionary’s team to discuss how our two datasets will be aligned and updated in future.  It was an interesting meeting, but there’s still a lot of uncertainty regarding how the datasets can be tracked and connected as future updates are made, at least some of which will probably only become apparent when we get new data to integrate.

My second Zoom meeting was on Tuesday with the Place-Names of Iona project to discuss how we will be working with the QGIS package that team members will be using to access some of the archaeological data and Lidar maps, and also to discuss the issue of 10 digit grid references and the potential change from the old OSGB-36 means of generating latitude and longitude from grid references to the new WGS84 method.  It was a productive meeting and we decided that we would switch over to WGS84 and I would update the CMS to incorporate the new library for generating latitude and longitude from grid references.

I spent some time later in the week implementing this change, meaning that when a member of the project team adds or edits a place-name and supplies a grid reference the latitude and longitude generated use the new system.  As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, the new library (see  http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong-os-gridref.html) allows 6, 8 or 10 digit grid references to be used and is JavaScript based, meaning as soon as the user enters the grid reference the latitude and longitude are generated.  I updated my scripts so that these values immediately appear in the relevant boxes in the form, and also integrated the Google Maps service that generates altitude data from the latitude and longitude, populating the altitude box in the form and also displaying a Google Map showing the exact location that the entered grid reference has produced if further tweaks are required.  I’m pretty happy with how the new system is working out.

Also this week I continued to work on the Books and Borrowing project, generating image tilesets for the scans of several volumes of ledgers from Edinburgh University Library and writing scripts to generate pages in the Content Management System, creating ‘next’ and ‘previous’ links as required and associating the relevant images.  I also had an email correspondence about some of the querying methods we will develop for the data, such as collocation information.

I also gave some feedback on a data management plan for a project I’m involved with, had a chat with Wendy Anderson about a possible future project she’s trying to set up and spent some time making updates to the underlying data of the Interactive Map of Burns Suppers that launched last month.  I didn’t have the time to do a huge amount of work on the Anglo-Norman Dictionary this week, but I still managed to migrate some of the project’s old blog posts to our new site over the course of the week.

Finally, I made some updates to the bibliography system for the Dictionary of the Scots Language, updating the new system so it works in a similar manner to the live site.  I added ‘Author’ and ‘Title’ to the drop-down items when searching for both to help differentiate them and a search for an item when the user ignores the drop-down options and manually submits the search now works as it does in the live site.  I also fixed the issue with selecting ‘Montgomerie, Norah & William’ resulting in a 404 error.  This was caused by the ampersand.  There were some issues with other non-alphanumeric characters that I’ve fixed too, including slashes and apostrophes.