Week Beginning 1st March 2021

There was quite a bit of work to be done for the Books and Borrowing project this week.  Several more ledgers had been digitised and needed tilesets and page records generated for them.  The former requires the processing and upload of many gigabytes of images files which takes quite some time to complete, especially as the upload speed from my home computer to the server never gets beyond about 56Kb per second.  However, I just end up leaving my PC on overnight and generally the upload has completed by the morning.  Generating page records generally involves me updating a script to change image filename parts and page numbers, and to specify the first and last page and the script does the rest, but there are some quirks that need to be sorted out manually.  For the Wigtown data some of the images were not sequentially numbered, which meant I couldn’t rely on my script to generate the correct page structure.  For one of the Edinburgh ledgers the RA has already manually created some pages and had added more than a hundred borrowing records to them so I had to figure out a way to incorporate these.  The page images are a double spread (so two pages per image) but the pages the RA had made were individual, so what I needed to do was to remove the manual pages, generate a new set and then update the page references for each of the borrowing records so they appeared on the correct new page.

Also this week I continued to migrate the blogs over to the new Anglo-Norman Dictionary website, a process which I managed to complete.  The new blog isn’t live yet, as I asked for feedback from the Editors before I replaced the link to the old blog site, and there are a couple of potential tweaks that I need to make before we’re ready to go.  I also had a chat with the Dictionary of the Scots Language people about migrating to a new DNS provider and the impact this might have on email addresses.

The rest of my week was spent working on proposals for two new projects, one for Kirsteen McCue and the other for Wendy Anderson.  This involved reading through all of the documentation, making notes and beginning to write the required Data Management Plans.  For Wendy’s proposal we also had a Zoom meeting with partners in Dundee and for Kirsteen’s proposal I had an email discussion with partners at the British Library.  There’s not really much more I can say about the work I’m doing for these projects, but I’ll be continuing to work on the respective DMPs next week.