I spent quite a bit of time this week continuing to work on the Anglo-Norman Dictionary, creating a new ‘bibliography’ page that will replace the existing ‘source texts’ page and uses the new source text management scripts that I added to the new content management system recently. This required rather a lot of updates as I needed to update the API to use the new source texts table and also to incorporate source text items as required, which took some time. I then created the new ‘bibliography’ page which uses the new source text data. There is new introductory text and each item features the new fields as requested by the editors. ‘Dean’ references always appear, the title and author are in bold and ‘details’ and ‘notes’ appear when present. If a source text has one or more items these are listed in numeric order, in a slightly smaller font and indented. Brackets for page numbers are added in. I also had to change the way the source texts were ordered as previously the list was ordered by the ‘slug’ but with the updates to the data it sometimes happens that the ‘slug’ doesn’t begin with the same letter as the siglum text and this was messing up the order and the alphabetical buttons. Now the list is ordered by the siglum text stripped of any tags and all seems to be working fine. I will still need to update the links from dictionary items to the bibliography when the new page goes live, and update the search facilities too, but I’ll leave this until we’re ready to launch the new page.
I also had to change the way items within bibliographical entries were ordered. These were previously ordered on the ‘numeral’ field, which contained a Roman numeral. I’d written a bit of a hack to ensure that these were ordered correctly up to 20, but it turns out that there are some entries with more than 60 items, and some of them have non-standard numerals, such as ‘IXa’. I decided that it would be too complicated to use the ‘numeral’ field for ordering as the contents are likely to be too inconsistent for a computer to automatically order successfully. I therefore created a new ‘itemorder’ column in the database that holds a numerical value that decides the order of the items. I wrote a little script that populates this field for the items already in the system and for any bibliographical entry with 20 or fewer items the order should be correct without manual intervention. For the handful of entries with more than 20 items the editors will have to manually update the order. I updated the DMS so that the new ‘item order’ field appears when you add or edit items, and this will need to be used for each item to rearrange the items into the order they should be in. The new bibliography page uses the new itemorder field so updates are reflected on this page.
I also needed to update the system to correctly process multiple DEAF links, which I’d forgotten to do previously, made some changes to the ordering of items (e.g. so that entries with a number appear before entries with the same text but without a number) and added in an option to hide certain fields by adding a special character into the field. Also for the AND I updated the XML of an entry and continued to migrate blog posts from the old blog to our new system.
Beneath the XML section you can view all of the information that is extracted from the XML and used in the system for search and display purposes: forms, parts of speech, cross references, labels, citations and translations. This is to enable the editors to check that the data extracted and used by the system is correct. I could possibly add in options for you to edit this data, but any edits made would then be overwritten the next time an XML file is uploaded for the entry, so I’m not sure how useful this would be. I think it would be better to limit the editing of this information to via a new XML file upload only.
However, we may want to make some of the information in this page directly editable, specifically some of the fields in the first table on the page. The editors may want to change the lemma or homonym number, or the slug or entry order. Similarly the editors may want to manually override the earliest date for the entry (although this would then be overwritten when a new XML version is uploaded) or change the ‘phase’ information.
The scripts to upload a new XML entry are going to take some time to get working, but at least for now you can view and download entries as required. Here’s a screenshot of how the facility works:
Also this week I dealt with a few queries about the Symposium for Seventeenth-Century Scottish Literature, which was taking place online this week and for which I had set up the website. I also spoke to Arts IT Support about getting a test server set up for the Historical Thesaurus. I spent a bit of time working for the Books and Borrowing project, processing images for a ledger from Edinburgh University Library, uploading these to the server and generating page records and links between pages for the ledger. I also gave some advice to the Scots Language Policy RA about how to use the University’s VPN, spoke to Jennifer Smith about her SCOSYA follow-on funding proposal and had a chat with Thomas Clancy about how we will use GIS systems in the Iona project.