I worked on quite a number of different projects this week. My first task was to set up a discussion forum for Sean Adams’ Academic Publishing conference website. The website is another WordPress powered site and I hadn’t worked with any forum plugins before so it was interesting to learn about this. I settled for the widely adopted ‘bbpress’ plugin, which turned out to be very straightforward to set up and integrates nicely with WordPress. I had to tweak the University theme I’d created a little so that the various sections displayed properly, but after that all appeared to be working well. I also spent some time continuing to contribute to the new Burns bid for Gerry Carruthers. I’d received some feedback on my first version of the Technical Plan and based on this and some updated bid documentation I created a second version. I also participated in some email discussions about other parts of the bid too. It seems to be shaping up very well. Ann Fergusson from SND contacted me this week as someone had spotted a missing section of text in one of the explanatory pages. I swiftly integrated the missing text and all is now well again.
On Tuesday I had a meeting with Susan and Magda about the Scots Thesaurus. We went through some of the outstanding tasks and figured out how and when these would be implemented. The biggest one is the creation of a search variants table, which will allow any number of different spellings to be associated with a lexeme, enabling it to be found by the search option. However, Magda is going to rework a lot of the lexemes over the coming weeks so I’m going to hold off on implementing this feature until this work has been completed.
I also had a Mapping Metaphor task to do this week: updating the database with new data. Wendy has been continuing to work with the data, adding in directionality, dates and sample lexemes and Ellen sent me a new batch. It has been a while since I’d last uploaded new data and it took me a while to remember how my upload script worked, but after I’d figured that out everything went smoothly. We now have information about 16,378 metaphorical connections in the system and 12,845 sample lexemes linked into the Historical Thesaurus.
I’m going to be on holiday next week and the following week I’m going to be at a conference so there will be no more from me until after I return.