Week Beginning 12th August 2013

On Monday I completed my scoping report for the redevelopment of SCOTS.  I’ve broken down the work into four stages, the first of which will be to spruce the site design and navigation up a bit, which leaving all the underlying mechanics intact.  I hope to be able to complete this stage of the redevelopment before the end of November.  Stages two and three will involve reworking the advanced search and the audio / visual material, adding pagination and simplifying the search options for the former and migrating files from Quicktime to HTML5 audio / video for the latter.  This will take place next year.  The fourth stage will probably require additional funding and the involvement of other people to undertake tasks such as part of speech tagging.

After completing the scoping report I continued to work through the web version of the grammar app.  This took up quite a bit of time during the week and I was hoping to have it fully finished by Friday but I’m not quite there yet.  I was off work on Friday morning to attend a funeral, which did cut down slightly on my available time.  However, the book is now completed, but I’m only midway through the exercises.  I’m having to rework the exercises in order for them to function on older versions of IE.  Some of the more complex exercises have massive amounts of Javascript behind them and some aspects of this just will not run in IE7 and earlier.  Hopefully I’ll get all this sorted next week though.  The almost finished version can be viewed here:

http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/STELLA/briantest/web/grammar/

On Tuesday I prepared for and attended a couple of meetings.  The first was for the Mapping Metaphor project.  The team have now got a really good grasp on the sorts of visualisations they want to use and also have a decent idea of website functionality as well.  We had a really productive meeting and it was agreed that I would develop the website and the visualisations.  I spent some time after the meeting reading through all of the materials that the team has produced and next week I’ll start thinking about the development of the site.

My second meeting was with Susan Rennie to discuss a bid she is going to write for the AHRC ‘big data’ call.  We discussed a few options and Susan is now going to prepare the bid a little further and then I’ll get involved in writing the Technical Plan.