Week Beginning 8th July 2013

This week has been gloriously hot and sunny, not exactly ideal conditions in which to be cooped up inside hunched over a keyboard.  However, I have made some good progress this week.  The biggest achievement has been completing development work on the new Historical Thesaurus website!  Woo!  Of course it is highly likely that further tweaks and refinements will be required over the coming weeks and months, but everything that was on my ‘to do’ list has now been done (other than tasks where I’m awaiting content from others).  You can view the new website here:

http://historicalthesaurus.arts.gla.ac.uk/newHT/

But note that this is a purely temporary URL and once the site goes live this URL will in all likelihood stop working.  The final tasks included creating a print CSS file so that when you print a page (e.g. a category) you don’t get all of the non-relevant parts of the web page such as navigation items.  I also updated the way subcategories appear on the site following a suggestion from Marc.  I had managed to omit the subcategory number from the lists of categories and the category page, so that all subcategories shared the main category number, so instead of ‘01.02.08.01.15.08|01’ it was only displaying ‘01.02.08.01.15.08’.  Marc also wanted the full hierarchy of subcategories to be represented in the titles too, which makes perfect sense.  I made these changes plus a bunch of others too, but it’s too hot on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend to go into too much detail about them!

Also this week I completed a first draft of the Grammar app, which is something of a relief.  It will require further tweaking but all of the interactive exercises are now in place, including the tortuous ‘general exercise’, which can be found here:

http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/STELLA/briantest/grammar/exercise-general-1-form-and-function.html

Good luck getting top marks in those!

Also this week I met with Nigel Leask to discuss a large AHRC bid that he’s putting together with Aberystwyth.  I’ll be contributing to the technical plan for this project and will hopefully continue to be involved with it if it gets funded.  I also updated the Burns website to finally fix the Twitter integration error, and also to add tow PhD students as Blog authors so they can post updates about their Highland Tour in a couple of weeks time.  I also made some further updates to the Digital Humanities Network website and spent a bit of time giving some advice to a postgrad student who had an idea for an app.

In addition to the above I also spent the best part of a day working on further mock-ups for the Dictionary of the Scots Language website, and these are coming along very nicely.  Hopefully in a couple of weeks time I’ll be able to share them with the other members of the team and get some feedback.