Week Beginning 1st June 2020

During week 11 of Lockdown I continued to work on the Books and Borrowing project, but also spent a fair amount of time catching up with other projects that I’d had to put to one side due to the development of the Books and Borrowing content management system.  This included reading through the proposal documentation for Jennifer Smith’s follow-on funding application for SCOSYA, and writing a new version of the Data Management Plan based on this updated documentation and making some changes to the ‘export data for print publication’ facility for Carole Hough’s REELS project.  I also spent some time creating as new export facility to format the place-name elements and any associated place-names for print publication too.

During this week a number of SSL certificates expired for a bunch of websites, which meant browsers were displaying scary warning messages when people visited the sites.  I had to spend a bit of time tracking these down and passing the details over to Arts IT Support for them to fix as it is not something I have access rights to do myself.  I also liaised with Mike Black to migrate some websites over from the server that houses many project websites to a new server.  This is because the old server is running out of space and is getting rather temperamental and freeing up some space should address the issue.

I also made some further tweaks to Paul Malgrati’s interactive map of Burns’ Suppers and created a new WordPress-powered project website for Matthew Creasy’s new ‘Scottish Cosmopolitanism at the Fin de Siècle’ project.  This included the usual choosing a theme, colour schemes and fonts, adding in header images and footer logos and creating initial versions of the main pages of the site.  I’d also received a query from Jane Stuart-Smith about the audio recordings in the SCOTS Corpus so I did a bit of investigation about that.

Fraser Dallachy had got back to me with some further tasks for me to carry out on the processing of dates for the Historical Thesaurus, and I had intended to spend some time on this towards the end of the week, but when I began to look into this I realised that the scripts I’d written to process the old HT dates (comprising 23 different fields) and to generate the new, streamlined date system that uses a related table with just 6 fields were sitting on my PC in my office at work.  Usually all the scripts I work on are located on a server, meaning I can easily access them from anywhere by connecting to the server and downloading them.  However, sometimes I can’t run the scripts on the server as they may need to be left running for hours (or sometimes days) if they’re processing large amounts of data or performing intensive tasks on the data.  In these cases the scripts run directly on my office PC, and this was the situation with the dates script.  I realised I would need to get into my office at work on retrieve the scripts, so I put in a request to be allowed into work.  Staff are not currently allowed to just go into work – instead you need to get approval from your Head of School and then arrange a time that suits security.  Thankfully it looks like I’ll be able to go in early next week.

Other than these issues, I spent my time continuing to work for the Books and Borrowing project.  On Tuesday we had a Zoom call with all six members of the core project team, during which I demonstrated the CMS as it currently stands.  This gave me an opportunity to demonstrate the new Author association facilities I had created last week.  The demonstration all went very smoothly and I think the team are happy with how the system works, although no doubt once they actually begin to use it there will be bugs to fix and workflows to tweak.  I also spent some time before the meeting testing the system again, and fixing some issues that were not quite right with the author system.

I spent the remainder of my time on the project completing work on the facility to add, edit and view book holding records directly via the library page, as opposed to doing so whilst adding / editing a borrowing record.  I also implemented a similar facility for borrowers as well.  Next week I will begin to import some of the sample data from various libraries into the system and will allow the team to access the system to test it out.