Week Beginning 9th January 2023

I attended the workshop ‘The impact of multilingualism on the vocabulary and stylistics of Medieval English’ in Zurich this week.  The workshop ran on Tuesday and Wednesday and I travelled to Zurich with my colleagues Marc Alexander and Fraser Dallachy on Monday.  It was really great to travel to a workshop in a different country again as I’d not been abroad since before Lockdown.  I’d never been to Zurich before and it was a lovely city.  The workshop itself was great, with some very interesting papers and good opportunities to meet other researchers and discuss potential future projects.  I gave a paper on the Historical Thesaurus, its categories and data structures and how semantic web technologies may be used to more effectively structure, manage and share the Historical Thesaurus’s semantically arranged dataset.  It was a half-hour paper with 10 minutes for questions afterwards and it went pretty well.  The audience wasn’t especially technical and I’m not sure how interesting the topic was to most people, but it was well received and I’m glad I had the opportunity to both attend the event and to research the topic as I have greatly increased my knowledge of semantic web technologies such as RDF, graph databases and SPARQL, and as part of the research I managed to write a script that generated an RDF version of the complete HT category data, which may come in handy one day.

I got back home just before midnight on the Wednesday and returned to normal work first thing on Thursday.  This included submitting my expenses from the workshop and replying to a few emails that had come in regarding my office (it looks like the dry rot work is going to take a while to resolve and it also looks like I’ll have to share my temporary office) and attempting to set up web hosting for the VARICS project, which Arts IT Support seem reluctant to do.  I also looked into an issue with the DSL that Ann Ferguson had spotted and spoke to the IT people at Stirling about their current progress with setting up a Solr instance for the Books and Borrowing project.  I also replaced a selection of library register images with better versions for that project and arranged a meeting for next Monday with the project’s PI and Co-I to discuss progress with the front-end.

I spent most of Friday writing a Data Management Plan and attending a Zoom call for a new speech therapy project I’m involved with.  It’s an ESRC funding proposal involving Glasgow and Strathclyde and I’ll be managing the technical aspects.  We had a useful call and I managed to complete an initial version of the DMP that the PI is going to adapt if required.