Week Beginning 4th January 2021

This was my first week back after the Christmas holidays, and I only worked the Thursday and the Friday.  We’re back in full lockdown and homeschooling again now, so it’s not the best of starts to the new year.  I spent my two days this week catching up with emails and finishing off some outstanding tasks from last year.  I spoke to Joanna Kopaczyk about her new RSE funded project that I need to set up a website for, and I had a chat with the DSL people about the outstanding tasks that still need to be tackled for the Dictionary of the Scots Language.  I also added a few more Burns Suppers to the Supper Map that I created over the past year for Paul Malgrati in Scottish Literature, which was a little time consuming as the data is contained in a spreadsheet featuring more than 70 columns.

I spent the remainder of the week continuing to work on the new Anglo-Norman Dictionary site, which we launched just before Christmas.  The editors, Geert and Heather, had spotted some issues with the site whilst using it so I had a few more things to add to my ‘to do’ list, some of which I ticked off.  One such thing was that entries with headwords that consisted of multiple words weren’t loading.  This required an update to the way the API handles variables passed in URL strings, and after I implemented that such entries then loaded successfully.

A bigger issue was the fact that some citations were not appearing in the entries.  This took some time to investigate but I eventually tracked down the problem.  I’d needed to write a script that reordered all of the citations in every sense in every entry by date, as previously the citations were not in date order.  However, when looking at the entries that had missing citations it would appear that where a sense has more than one citation in the same year only one of these citations was appearing.  This is because within each sense I was placing the citations in an array with the year as the key, e.g:

$citation[“1134”] = citation 1

$citation[“1362”] = citation 2

$citation[“1247”] = citation 3

I was then reordering the array based on the key to get things in year order.  But where there were multiple citations in a single year for a sense this approach wasn’t working as the array key needs to be unique.  So if there were two ‘1134’ citations only one was being retained.  To fix this I updated the reordering script to add a further incrementing number to the key, so if there are two ‘1134’ citations the key for the first is ‘1134-1’ and the second is ‘1134-2’.  This ensures all citations for a year are retained and the sorting by key still works.  After implementing the fix and rerunning the citation ordering script I updated the XML in the online database and the missing citations are now thankfully appearing online.

I ended the week by continuing to work through the ancillary pages of the dictionary, focusing on the ‘Introducing the AND’ pages (https://anglo-norman.net/introducing-the-and/).  I’d managed to get the main content of the pages in place before Christmas, but explanatory notes and links were not working.  There are about 50 explanatory notes in the ‘Magna Carta’ page and I needed to copy all of these from the old site and add them to a Bootstrap dialog pop-up, which was rather time-consuming.  I also had to update the links through to the dictionary entries as although I’d added redirects to ensure the old links worked, some of the links in these pages didn’t feature an entry number where one was required.  For example on the page about food there was a link to ‘pere’ but the dictionary contains three ‘pere’ entries and the correct one is actually the third (the fruit pear).  I still need to fix links and explanatory notes in the two remaining pages of the introduction, which I will try to get sorted next week.