Week Beginning 14th December 2020

This was my last week before the Christmas holidays, and it was a four-day week as I’d taken Friday off to use up some unspent holidays.  Despite only being four days long it was a very hectic week, as I had lots of loose ends to tie up before the launch of the new Anglo-Norman Dictionary website on Wednesday.  This included tweaking the appearance of ‘Edgloss’ tags to ensure they always have brackets (even if they don’t in the XML), updating the forms to add line breaks between parts of speech and updating the source texts pop-ups and source texts page to move the information about the DEAF website.

I also added in a lot of the ancillary page data, including the help text, various essays, the ‘history’ page, copyright and privacy pages, the memorial lectures and the multi-section ‘introduction to the AND’.  I didn’t quite manage to get all of the links working in the latter and I’ll need to return to this next year.  I also overhauled the homepage and footer, adding in the project’s Twitter feed, a new introduction and adding links to Twitter and Facebook to the footer.

I also identified and fixed an error with the label translations, which were sometimes displaying the wrong translation.  My script that extracted the labels was failing to grab the sense ID for subsenses.  This ID is only used to pull out the appropriate translation, but because of the failure the ID of the last main sense was being used instead.  I therefore had to update my script and regenerate the translation data.  I also updated the label search to add in citations as well as translations.  This means the search results page can get very long as both labels and translations are applied at sense level, so we end up with every citation in a matching sense listed, but apparently this is what’s wanted.

I also fixed the display of ‘YBB’ sources, which for some unknown reason are handled differently to all other sources in the system and fixed the issue with deviant forms and their references and parts of speech.

On Wednesday we made the site live, replacing the old site with the new one, which you can now access here:  https://anglo-norman.net/.  It wasn’t entirely straightforward to get the DNS update working, but we got there in the end, and after making some tweaks to paths and adding in Google Analytics the site was ready to use, which is quite a relief.  There is still a lot of work to do on the site, but I’m very happy with the progress I’ve made with the site since I began the redevelopment in October.

Also this week I set up a new website for phase two of the ‘Editing Burns for the 21st Century’ project and upgraded all of the WordPress sites I manage to the most recent version.  I also arranged a meeting with Jane Stuart-Smith to discuss a new project in the New Year, replied to Kirsteen McCue about a proposal she’s finishing off, replied to Simon Taylor about a new place-name project he wants me to be involved with and replied to Carolyn Jess-Cooke about a project of hers that will be starting next year.

That’s all for 2020.  Here’s hoping 2021 is not going to be quite so crazy!