Week Beginning 21st September 2020

I’d taken Thursday and Friday off this week as it was the Glasgow September Weekend holiday, meaning this was a three-day week for.  It was a week where focussing on any development tasks was rather tricky as I had four Zoom calls and a dentist’s appointment on the other side of the city during my three working days.

On Monday I had a call with the Historical Thesaurus people to discuss the ongoing task of integrating content from the OED for the second edition.  There’s still rather a lot to be done for this, and we’re needing to get it all complete during October, so things are a little stressful.  After the meeting I made some further updates to the display of icons signifying a second edition update.  I updated the database and front-end to allow categories / subcats to have a changelog (in addition to words).  These appear in a transparent circle with a white border and a white number, right aligned.  I also updated the display of the icon for words.  These also appear as a transparent circle, right aligned, but have the teal colour for a border and the number.  I also realised I hadn’t added in the icons for words in subcats, so put these in place too.

After that I set about updated the dates of HT lexemes based on some rules that Fraser had developed.  I created and ran scripts that updated the start dates of 91,364 lexemes based on OED dates and then ran a further scrip that updated the end dates of 157,156 lexemes.  These took quite a while to run (the latter I was dealing with during my time off) but it’s good that progress is being made.

My second Zoom call of the week was for the Books and Borrowing project, and was with the project PI and Co-I and someone who is transcribing library records from a private library that we’re now intending to incorporate into the project’s system.  We discussed the data and the library and made a plan for how we’re going to work with the data in future.  My third and fourth Zoom call were for the new Place-names of Iona project that is just starting up.  It was a good opportunity to meet the rest of the project team (other than the RA who has yet to be appointed) and discuss how and when tasks will be completed.  We’ve decided that we’ll use the same content management system as the one I already set up for the Mull and Ulva project, as this already includes Iona data from the GB1900 project.  I’ll need to update the system so that we can differentiate place-names that should only appear on the Iona front-end, the Mull and Ulva front-end or both.  This is because for Iona we are going to be going into much more detail, down to individual monuments and other ‘microtoponyms’ whereas the names in the Mull and Ulva project are much more high level.

For the rest of my available time this week I made some further updates to the script I wrote last week for Fraser’s Scots Thesaurus project, ordering the results by part of speech and ensuring that hyphenated words are properly searched for (as opposed to being split into separate words joined by an ‘or’).  I also spent some time working for the DSL people, firstly updating the text on the search results page and secondly tracking down the certificate for the Android version of the School Dictionary app.  This was located on my PC at work, so I had arranged to get access to my office whilst I was already in the West End for my dentist’s appointment.  Unfortunately what I thought was the right file turned out to be the certificate for an earlier version of the app, meaning I had to travel all the way back to my office again later in the week (when I was on holiday) to find the correct file.

I also managed to find a little time to continue to work on the new Anglo-Norman Dictionary site, continuing to work on the display of the ‘entry’ page.  I updated my XSLT to ensure that ‘parglosses’ are visible and that cross reference links now appear.  Explanatory labels are also now in place.  These currently appear with a grey background but eventually these will be links to the label search results page.  Semantic labels are also now in place and also currently have a grey background but will be links through to search results.  However,  the System XML notes whether certain semantic labels should be shown or not.  So, for example <label type=”sem” show=”no”>med.</label> doesn’t get shown.  Unfortunately there is nothing comparable in the Editors’ XML (it’s just <semantic value=”med.”/>) so I can’t hide such labels.  Finally, the initials of the editor who made the last update now appear in square brackets to the right of the end of the entry.

Also, my new PC was delivered on Thursday and I spent a lot of time over the weekend transferring all of my data and programs across from my old PC.