Week Beginning 28th August 2017

This week was rather a hectic one as I was contacted by many people who wanted my help and advice with things.  I think it’s the time of year – the lecturers are returning from their holidays but the students aren’t back yet so they start getting on with other things, meaning busy times for me.  I had my PDR session on Monday morning, so I spent a fair amount of time at this and then writing things up afterwards.  All went fine, and it’s good to know that the work I do is appreciated.  After that I had to do a few things for Wendy for Mapping Metaphor.  I’d forgotten to run my ‘remove duplicates’ script after I’d made the final update to the MM data, which meant that many of the sample lexemes were appearing twice.  Thankfully Wendy spotted this and a quick execution of my script removed 14,286 duplicates in a flash.  I also had to update some of the text on the site, update the way search terms are highlighted in the HT to avoid links through from MM highlighting multiple terms.  I also wrote a little script that displays the number of strong and weak metaphorical connections there are for each of the categories, which Wendy wanted.

My big task for the week was to start on the redevelopment of the ARIES app.  I had been expecting to receive the materials for this several weeks earlier as Marc wanted the new app to be ready to launch at the beginning of term.  As I’d heard nothing I assumed that this was no longer going to happen, but on Monday Marc gave me access to the files and said the launch must still go ahead at the start of term.  There is rather a lot to do and very little time to do it in, especially as preparing stuff for the App Store takes so much time once the app is actually developed.  Also, Marc is still revising the materials so even though I’m now creating the new version I’m still going to have to go back and make further updates later on.  It’s not exactly an ideal situation.  However, I did manage to get started on the redevelopment on Tuesday, and spent pretty much all of my time on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday on this task.  This involved designing a new interface based on the colours found in the logo file, creating the structure of the app, and migrating the static materials that the team had created in HTML to the JSON file I’m creating for the app contents.  This included creating new styles for the new content where required and testing things out on various devices to make sure everything works ok.  I also implemented two of the new quizzes, which also took quite a bit of time, firstly because I needed to manually migrate the quiz contents to a format that my scripts could work with and secondly because although the quizzes were similar to ones I’ve written before they were not identical in structure, so needed some reworking in order to meet the requirements.  I’m pretty happy with how things are developing, but progress is slow.  I’ve only completed the content for three subsections of the app, and there are a further nine sections remaining.  Hopefully the pace will quicken as I proceed, but I’m worried that the app is not going to be ready for the start of term, especially as the quizzes should really be tested out by the team and possibly tweaked before launch.

I spent most of Friday this week writing the Technical Plan for Thomas Clancy’s new place-name project.  Last week I’d sent off a long list of questions about the project and Thomas got back to me with some very helpful answers this week, which really helped in writing the plan.  It’s still only a first version and will need further work, but I think the bulk of the technical issues have been addressed now.

Other than these tasks, I responded to a query from Moira Rankin from the Archives about an old project I was involved with, I helped Michael Shaw deal with some more data for The People’s Voice project, I had a chat to Catriona MacDonald about backing up The People’s Voice database, I looked through a database that Ronnie Young had sent me, which I will be turning into an online resource sometime soon (hopefully), I replied to Gerry McKeever about a project he’s running that’s just starting up which I will be involved with, and I replied to John Davies in History about a website query he had sent me.  Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to continue with the Edinburgh Gazetteer work I’d started last week, but I’ll hopefully get a chance to do some further work on this next week.