I spent a lot of this week continuing with the redevelopment of the ARIES app and thankfully after laying the groundwork last week (e.g. working out the styles and the structure, implementing a couple of exercise types) my rate of progress this week was considerably improved. In fact, by the end of the week I had added in all of the content and had completed an initial version of the web version of the app. This included adding in some new quiz types, such as one that allows the user to reorder the sentences in a paragraph by dragging and dropping them, and also a simple multiple choice style quiz. I also received some very useful feedback from members of the project team and made a number of refinements to the content based on this.
This included updating the punctuation quiz so that if you get three incorrect answers in a quiz a ‘show answer’ button is displayed. Clicking on this puts in all of the answers and shows the ‘well done’ box. This was rather tricky to implement as the script needed to reset the question, including removing all previous answers, ticks, and resetting the initial letter case as if you select a full stop the following letter is automatically capitalised. I also implemented a workaround for answers where a space is acceptable. These no longer count towards the final tally of correct answers, so leaving a space rather than selecting a comma can now result in the ‘well done’ message being displayed. Again, this was rather tricky to implement and it would be good if you could test out this quiz thoroughly to make sure there aren’t any occasions where the quiz breaks.
I also improved navigation throughout the app. I added ‘next’ buttons to all of the quizzes, which either take you to the next section, or to the next part of the quiz, as applicable. I think this works much better than just having the option to return to the page the quiz was linked from. I also added in a ‘hamburger’ button to the footer of every page within a section. Pressing on this takes you to the section’s contents page, and I added ‘next’ and ‘previous’ buttons to the contents pages too, so you can navigate between sections without having to go back to the homepage.
I spent a bit of time fixing the drag / drop quizzes so that the draggable boxes were constrained to each exercise’s boundaries. This seemed to work great until I got to the references quiz, which has quite long sections of draggable text. With the constraint in place it became impossible for the part of the draggable button that triggers the drop to reach the boxes nearest the boundaries of the question as none of the button could pass the borders. So rather annoyingly I had to remove this feature and just allow people to drag the buttons all over the page. But dropping a button from one question into another will always give you an incorrect answer now, so it’s not too big a problem.
With all of this in place I’ll start working on the app version of the resource next week and will hopefully be able to submit it to the app stores by the end of the week, all being well.
In addition to my work on ARIES, I completed some other tasks for a number of other projects. For Mapping Metaphor I created a couple of scripts for Wendy that output some statistics about the metaphorical connections in the data. For the Thesaurus of Old English I created a facility to enable staff to create new categories and subcatetories (previously it was only possible to edit existing categories or add / edit / remove words from existing categories). I met with Nigel Leask and some of the Curious Travellers team on Friday to discuss some details for a new post associated with this project. I had an email discussion with Ronnie Young about the Burns database he wants me to make an online version of. I also met with Jane Stuart-Smith and Rachel MacDonald, who is the new project RA for the SPADE project, and set up a user account for Rachel to manage the project website. I had a chat with Graeme Cannon about a potential project he’s helping put together that may need some further technical input and I updated the DSL website and responded to a query from Ann Ferguson regarding a new section of the site.
I also spent most of a day working on the Edinburgh Gazetteer project, during which I completed work on the new ‘keywords’ feature. It was great to be able to do this as I had been intending to work on this last week but just didn’t have the time. I took Rhona’s keywords spreadsheet, which had page ID in one column and keywords separated by a semi-colon in another and created two database tables to hold the information (one for information about keywords and a joining table to link keywords to individual pages). I then wrote a little script that went through the spreadsheet, extracted the information and added it to my database. I then set to work on adding the actual feature to the website.
The index page of the Gazetteer now has a section where all of the keywords are listed. There are more than 200 keywords so it’s a lot of information. Currently the keywords appear like ‘bricks’ in a scrollable section, but this might need to be updated as it’s maybe a bit much information. If you click on a keyword a page loads that lists all of the pages that the keyword is associated with. When you load a specific page, either from the keyword page or from the regular browse option, there’s now a section above the page image that lists the associated keywords. Clicking on one of these loads the keyword’s page, allowing you to access any other pages that are associated with it. It’s a pretty simple system but it works well enough. The actual keywords need a bit of work, though, as some are too specific and there are some near duplications due to typos and things like that. Rhona is going to send me an updated spreadsheet and I will hopefully upload this next week.
Oh yes, it was five years ago this week that I started in this post. How time flies.