Week Beginning 19th June 2017

I decided this week to devote some time to redevelop the Thesaurus of Old English, to bring it into line with the work I’ve been doing to redevelop the main Historical Thesaurus website.  I had thought I wouldn’t have time to do this before next week’s ‘Kay Day’ event but I decided that it would be better to tackle the redevelopment whilst the changes I’d made for the main site were still fresh in my mind, rather than coming back to it in possibly a few months’ time, having forgotten how I implemented the tree browse and things like that.  It actually took me less time than I had anticipated to get the new version up and running, and by the end of Tuesday I had a new version in place that was structurally similar to the new HT site.  We will hopefully be able to launch this alongside the new HT site towards the end of next week.

I sent the new URL to Carole Hough for feedback as I was aware that she had some issues with the existing TOE website.  Carole sent me some useful feedback, which led to me making some additional changes to the site – mainly to the tree browse structure.  The biggest issue is that the hierarchical structure of TOE doesn’t quite make sense.  There are 18 top-level categories, but for some reason I am not at all clear about each top-level category isn’t a ‘parent’ category but is in fact a sibling category to the ones that are one level down.  E.g, logically ’04 Consumption of food/drink’ would be the parent category of ’04.01’, ’04.02’ etc but in the TOE this isn’t the case, rather ’04.01’, ’04.02’ should sit alongside ‘04’.  This really confuses both me and my tree browse code, which expects categories ‘xx.yy’ to be child categories of ‘xx’.  This led to the tree browse putting categories where logically they belong, but within the confines of the TOE make no sense – e.g. we ended up with ’04.04 Weaving’ within ’04 Consumption of food/drink’!

To confuse matters further, there are some additional ‘super categories’ that I didn’t have in my TOE database but apparently should be used as the real 18 top-level categories.  Rather confusingly these have the same numbers as the other top-level categories.  So we now have ’04 Material Needs’ that has a child category ’04 Consumption of food/drink’ that then has ’04.04 Weaving’ as a sibling and not as a child as the number would suggest.  This situation is a horrible mess that makes little sense to a user, but is even harder for a computer program to make sense of.  Ideally we should renumber the categories in a more logical manner, but apparently this isn’t an option.  Therefore I had to hack about with my code to try and allow it to cope with these weird anomalies.  I just about managed to get it all working by the end of the week but there are a few issues that I still need to clear up next week.  The biggest one is that all of the ‘xx.yy’ categories and their child categories are currently appearing in two places – within ‘xx’ where they logically belong and beside ‘xx’ where this crazy structure says they should be placed.

In addition to all this TOE madness I also spent some further time tweaking the new HT website, including updating the quick search box so the display doesn’t mess up on narrow screens, making some further tweaks to the photo gallery and making alterations to the interface.  I also responded to a request from Fraser to update one of the scripts I’d written for the HT OED data migration that we’re still in the process of working through.

In terms of non-thesaurus related tasks this week, I was involved in a few other projects.  I had to spend some time on some AHRC review duties.  I also fixed an issue that had crept into the SCOTS and CMSW Corpus websites since their migration:  the ‘download corpus as a zip’ issue was no longer working due to the PHP code using an old class to create the zip that was not compatible with the new server.  I spent some time investigating this and finding a new way of using PHP to create zip files.  I also locked down the SPADE website admin interface to IP address ranges of our partner institutions and fixed an issue with the SCOSYA questionnaire upload facility.  I also responded to a request for information about TEI XML training from a PhD student and made a tweak to a page of the DSL website.

I spent the remainder of my week looking at some app issues.  We are hopefully going to be releasing a new and completely overhauled version of the ARIES app by the end of the summer and I had been sent a document detailing the overall structure of the new site.  I spent a bit of time creating a new version of the web-based ARIES app that reflected this structure, in preparation for receiving content.  I also returned to the Metre app, that I’ve not done anything about since last year.  I added in some explanatory text and I am hopefully going to be able to start wrapping this app up and deploying it to the App and Play stores soon.  But possibly not until after my summer holiday, which starts the week after next.