Week Beginning 1st August 2016

This was a very short week for me as I was on holiday until Thursday.  I still managed to cram a fair amount into my two days of work, though.  On Thursday I spent quite a bit of time dealing with emails that had come in whilst I’d been away.  Carole Hough emailed me about a slight bug in the Old English version of the Mapping Metaphor website.  With the OE version all metaphorical connections are supposed to default to a strength of ‘both’ rather than ‘strong’ like with the main site.  However, when accessing data via the quick and advanced search the default was still set to ‘strong’, which was causing some confusion as this was obviously giving different results to the browse facilities, which defaulted to ‘both’.  Thankfully it didn’t take long to identify the problem and fix it.  I also had to update a logo for the ‘People’s Voice’ project website, which was another very quick fix.  Luca Guariento, who is the new developer for the Curious Travellers project, emailed me this week to ask for some advice on linking proper names in TEI documents to a database of names for search purposes and I explained to him how I am working with this for the ‘People’s Voice’ project, which has similar requirements.  I also spoke to Megan Coyer about the ongoing maintenance of her Medical Humanities Network website and fixed an issue with the MemNet blog, which I was previously struggling to update.  It would appear that the problem was being caused by an out of date version of the sFTP helper plugin, as once I updated that everything went smoothly.

I also set up a new blog for Rob Maslen, who wants to use it to allow postgrad students and others in the University to post articles about fantasy literature.  I also managed to get Rob’s Facebook group integrated with the blog for his fantasy MLitt course.  I’ve also got the web space set up for Rhona’s Edinburgh Gazetteer project, and extracted all of the images for this project too.  I spent about half of Friday working on the Technical Plan for the proposal Alison Wiggins is putting together and I now have a clearer picture of how the technical aspects of the project should fit together.  There is still quite a bit of work to do on this document, however, and a number of further questions I need to speak to Alison about before I can finish things off.  Hopefully I’ll get a first draft completed early next week, though.

The remainder of my short working week was spent on the SCOSYA project, working on updates to the CMS.  I added in facilities to create codes and attributes through the CMS, and also to browse these types of data.  This includes facilities to edit attributes and view which codes have which attributes and vice-versa.  I also began work on a new page for displaying data relating to each code – for example which questionnaires the code appears in.  There’s still work to be done here, however, and hopefully I’ll get a chance to continue with this next week.