Week Beginning 8th December 2014

This week was another busy one, and I didn’t manage to get stuck into any Mapping Metaphor development tasks at all, due to other things I had to do.  On Monday I prepared for and attended a Mapping Metaphor project meeting and, as always, it was good to catch up with the team and to let people know what I’ve recently been working on.  I also spent some time reading through and commenting on a bid Carole is developing based on an earlier place-name project that unfortunately didn’t get funded.  Here’s hoping this one is more successful.

On Tuesday I had a meeting with Jeremy and it was great to have a chat with him again about the work I’ve been doing.  Jeremy is my line manager and this was actually only my second meeting with him this year and he suggested that it might be a good idea for line manager duties to be transferred to someone else who can be more closely involved in what I do.  I think this is a good idea.  I am very good at just getting on with things, I like to think I am doing a good job and am keeping everyone happy and I don’t need much in the way of hands-on managerial support but it probably does make sense to have a line manager that is more available.

I had to spend a fair bit of time this week preparing for David Shuttleton’s Medidal Humanities event on Thursday – David had asked me to speak about Digital Humanities at Glasgow.  Even though it was only a 15 minute talk it still took quite some time to prepare the materials and get everything ready.  The talk on Thursday went well and I attended the whole day of the event.  It was very interesting to hear about some of the other projects that are underway in the University, such as the digitisation of medical records that is being managed at the library, the Cullen project and others.

During the week Fraser Rowan emailed me to let me know that my ‘Knowledge Exchange’ blog and video clip had been posted.  The blog post is available at http://www.keblog.arts.gla.ac.uk/2014/12/11/50-years-digital-college-arts/ and the video can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMhTrlSmm4k&feature=youtu.be.

I had a new task to do for the SAMUELS project this week as well.  The people at Lancaster needed me to renumber a large section of the Historical Thesaurus (in a temporary table – not the real thing!) so that the primary keys would match up with category numbers as had been assigned by the OED people back when they got their hands on the data.  It took a few hours to get this together, as initially there was some confusion as to exactly what was required.  In the end I had to import one of the earlier versions of the HT from CSV and I worked with that to get them what they needed.

Flora also contacted me with some problems she’s been having with duplicate rows in the Mapping Metaphor Access database.  She’s tried to remove them but hasn’t been able to find a method of doing so using Access.  I said I would try to look at the data and see if there was any way to filter out the duplicates using MySQL and PHP.  I started to look into this on Friday but didn’t quite have the time.  I’ll need to return to this next week.  Ellen also sent me the new numbering scheme for the project and I’ll have to implement this next week too.  Wendy had received the reviews of the Mapping Metaphor follow-on funding proposal this week and I also spent a bit of time reading through these and providing technical responses where needed.

On Friday we had the Mapping Metaphor Christmas lunch, which was very nice.  I took Friday afternoon off to do a bit of shopping.  Pauline emailed me on Friday afternoon with a bunch of things to do for the Burns project so I’ll have to sort all those out next week too.