On Monday this week I spent a bit of time creating a new version of the MetaphorIC app, featuring the ‘final’ dataset from Mapping Metaphor. This new version features almost 12,000 metaphorical connections between categories and more than 30,000 examples of metaphor. Although the creation of the iOS version went perfectly smoothly (this time), I ran into some difficulties updating the Android app as the build process started giving me some unexplained errors. I eventually tried dropping the Android app in order to rebuild it, but that didn’t work either and unfortunately dropping the app also deleted its icon files. After that I had to build the app in a new location, which thankfully worked. Also thankfully I still had the source files for the icons so I could create them again. There’s always something that doesn’t go smoothly when publishing apps. The new version of the app was made available on the Apple App and Google Play stores by the end of the week and you can download either version by following the links here: http://mappingmetaphor.arts.gla.ac.uk/metaphoric/. That’s Mapping Metaphor and its follow-on project MetaphorIC completely finished now, other than the occasional tweak that will no doubt be required.
I spent the bulk of the rest of the week working on the Burns Paper Database for Ronnie Young. Last week I started looking at the Access version of the database that Ronnie had sent me, and I’m managed to make an initial version of a MySQL database to hold the data and I created an upload script that populated this table with the data via a CSV file. This week I met with Ronnie to discuss how to take the project further. We agreed that rather than having an online content management system through which Ronnie would continue to update the database, he would instead continue to use his Access version and I would then run this through my ‘import’ script to replace the old online version whenever updates are required. This is a more efficient approach as I already have an upload script and Ronnie is already used to working with his Access database.
We went through the data together and worked out which fields would need to be searchable and browseable, and how the data should be presented. This was particularly useful as there are some consistency issues with the data, for example in how uncertain dates are recorded, which may include square brackets, asterisks, question marks, the use of ‘or’ and also date ranges.
Other than the above I also did a little bit of work for the SPADE project, beginning to create a proper interface for the website with Rachel MacDonald, and I had a further chat with Gerry McKeever regarding the website for his new project.