Week Beginning 26th June 2023

I continued to work on the front-end for the Books and Borrowing project this week, and have now completed the migration of the dev site to Bootstrap.  There are still some aspects that I would like to tweak further, but on the whole the layout is now much improved on all screen sizes.  On the page that displays a page from a library register I have updated the navbar to make it position better on all screen sizes and I updated the image section so that it now now has a dark grey background.  Text and image panels now work better on all screen sizes and ‘Image view’ now has a larger image viewer.

On the library books page I’ve improved that layout of the ‘change the view’ feature and when viewing books grouped by authors the author now has a blue background to help spot where the divisions between authors are.  Layout of ‘top 100’ icon and the ESTC listing have also been improved:

I also updated the borrowers so these are now listed in a grid with four per row to make better use of the available space:

In the library ‘Facts’ page the ‘summary’ section now has a narrative flow rather than a bullet point list of figures.  The ‘top 10’ lists now appear in columns with up to four per row.  Layout of each list is improved.  The borrower occupations summary is also more of a narrative flow and the two donut charts appear side by side (if there’s room).  Similar improvements to the summary text in the other sections:


In the site-wide ‘books’ page the ‘change view’ and ‘limit’ sections now appear side by side and author view has the same blue backgrounds behind the author names.  On the site-wide ‘borrwers’ page the ‘Limit the view’ section layout has been overhauled, giving it a two-column layout, ensuring it takes up much less space.  It is still rather large, though.  We could potentially hide it until the user chooses to open it.  The list of borrowers is grid-based with up to fiveborrowers per row:

I’ve also massively overhauled the search forms in both the ‘simple’ and ‘advanced’ tabs.  They now consist of multi-column displays grouped by data type.  Tooltips are used where help information is included.  Dotted lines are used to divide different types of data.  Library registers with zero records are now excluded from the list:

There is still a fair amount to be done, including implement book genre, sorting out the highlighting in search results, investigating some situations when the year bar chart in the search results doesn’t display properly, adding in ‘cite this…’ options, adding in an ‘On this day’ feature and a ‘download data as CSV’ feature, update the API index page to add in information about licensing and to ensure all endpoints are listed with good examples, updating the API to ensure CSV output works properly for data that are arrays, integrating the dev site with the live site and ensuring all still works (e.g. the chambers map) and to add in a quick search option and navigation items as required, add in a cache for the facts and figures so it loads quicker and update the Solr index once work on the data is complete.  But we’re getting there!

Also this week I began to write a requirements document for new date search / filter feature for the DSL website, along with sparklines and POS.  I didn’t have the time to fully complete a first draft, but I did complete the sections about date searching and filtering so I sent it on to the DSL team  for feedback.

I had to spend a bit of time this week migrating older sites over to external hosting, including the Emblems websites  and the Forbes site.  For the latter I took the opportunity to upgrade the site as it was still relying on a Flash based image viewer which would not work in any modern browser.  I managed to switch this over to OpenLayers and now the site is working properly again in the first time for a few years (see https://forbes.gla.ac.uk/). I also set up a new website for an upcoming conference for Matthew Creasy.  This took a little while to get right and will be launched in August.

For the Anglo-Norman Dictionary I had a lengthy email conversation with Geert about the new language tags and how these should be handled, especially in cases where the entry is a compound word.  We managed to reach an agreement about how best to proceed with this and Geert is now going to add many more entries to the spreadsheet that should be given the language tags but did not previously include such a tag.  I also spoke some more to Delphine about collaborative XML editors and did a bit more research into the options for these.

I’m on holiday next week and I’m attending the DH2023 conference the week after so I won’t be back in the office until after that.