Week Beginning 21st November 2022

I participated in the UCU strike action on Thursday and Friday this week, so it was a three-day week for me.  I spent much of this time researching RDF, SKOS and OWL semantic web technologies in an attempt to understand them better in the hope that they might be of some use for future thesaurus projects.  I’ll be giving a paper about this at a workshop in January so I’m not going to say too much about my investigations here.  There is a lot to learn about, however, and I can see me spending quite a lot more time on this in the coming weeks.

Other than this I returned to working on the Anglo-Norman Dictionary.  I added in a line of text that had somehow been omitted from one of the Textbase XML files and added in a facility to enable project staff to delete an entry from the dictionary.  In reality this just deactivates the entry, removing it from the front-end but still keeping a record of it in the database in case the entry needs to be reinstated.  I also spoke to the editor about some proposed changes to the dictionary management system and begin to think about how these new features will function and how they will be developed.

For the Books and Borrowing project I had a chat with IT Services at Stirling about setting up an Apache Solr system for the project.  It’s looking like we will be able to proceed with this option, which will be great.  I also had a chat with Jennifer Smith about the new Speak For Yersel project areas.  It looks like I’ll be creating the new resources around February next year.  I also fixed an issue with the Place-names of Iona data export tool and discussed a new label that will be applied to data for the ‘About’ box for entries in the Dictionaries of the Scots Language.

I also prepared for next week’s interview panel and engaged in a discussion with IT Services about the future of the servers that are hosted in the College of Arts.