Week Beginning 29th November 2021

I participated in the UCU strike action on Wednesday to Friday this week, so it was a two-day working week for me.  During this time I gave some help to the students who are migrating the International Journal of Scottish Theatre and Screen and talked to Gerry Carruthers about another project he’s hoping to put together.  I also passed on information about the DNS update to the DSL’s IT people, added a link to the DSL’s new YouTube site to the footer of the DSL site and dealt with a query regarding accessing the DSL’s Google Analytics data.  I also spoke with Luca about arranging a meeting with him and his line manager to discuss digital humanities across the college and updated the listings for several Android apps that I created a few years ago that had been taken down due to their information being out of date.  As central IT services now manages the University Android account I hadn’t received notifications that this was going to take place.  Hopefully the updates have done the trick now.

Other than this I made some further updates to the Anglo-Norman Dictionary’s locution search that I created last week.  This included changing the ordering to list results by the word that was search for rather than by headword, changing the way the search works so that a wildcard search such as ‘te*’ now matches the start of any word in the locution phrase rather than just the first work and fixing a number of bugs that had been spotted.

I spent the rest of my available time starting to work on an interactive version of the radar diagram for the Historical Thesaurus.  I’d made a static version of this a couple of months ago which looks at a the words in an HT category by part of speech and visualises how the numbers of words in each POS change over time.  What I needed to do was find a way to allow users to select their own categories to visualise.  We had decided to use the broader Thematic Categories for the feature rather than regular HT categories so my first task was to create a Thematic Category browser from ‘AA The World’ to ‘BK Leisure’.  It took a bit of time to rework the existing HT category browser to work with thematic categories, and also to then enable the selection of multiple categories by pressing on the category name.  Selected categories appear to the right of the browser, and I added in an option to remove a selected category if required.  With this in place I began work on the code to actually grab and process the data for the selected categories.  This finds all lexemes and their associated dates for each lexeme in each HT category in each of the selected thematic categories.  For now the data is just returned and I’m still in the middle of processing the dates to work out which period each word needs to appear in.  I’ll hopefully find some time to continue with this next week.  Here’s a screenshot of the browser: