Week Beginning 19th July 2021

This was my second and final week staying at my parents’ house in Yorkshire, where I’m working a total of four days over the two weeks.  This week I had an email conversation with Eleanor Lawson about her STAR project, which will be starting very shortly.  We discussed the online presence for the project, which will be split between a new section on the Seeing Speech website and an entirely new website, the project’s data and workflows and my role over the 24 months of the project.  I also created a script to batch process some of the Edinburgh registers for the Books and Borrowing project.  The page images are double spreads and had been given a number for both the recto and the verso (e.g. 1-2, 3-4), but the student registers only ever use the verso page.  I was therefore asked to write a script to renumber all of these (e.g. 1-2 becomes 1, 3-4 becomes 2), which I created and executed on a test version of the site before applying to the live data.

I also continued to make tweaks to the front-ends for the Comparative Kingship project.  I fixed a bug with the Elements glossary of the Irish site, which was loading the Scottish version instead.  I also contacted Chris Fleet at NLS Maps to enquire about using a couple of their historical Irish maps with the site.  I also fixed the ‘to top’ button in the CMSes not working; the buttons now actually scroll the page to the top as they should.  I also fixed some issues relating to parish names no longer being unique in the system (e.g. the parish of Gartly is in the system twice due to it changing county at some point).  This was causing issues with the browse option as data was being grouped by parish name.  Changing the grouping to the parish ID thankfully fixed the issue.

I also had a chat with Ann Fergusson at the DSL about multi-item bibliographical entries in the existing DSL data.  These are being split into individual items, and a new ‘sldid’ attribute in the new data will be used to specify which item in the old entry the new entry corresponds to.  We agreed that I would figure out a way to ensure that these IDs can be used in the new website once I receive the updated data.

My final task of the week was to investigate a problem with Rob Maslen’s City of Lost Books blog (https://thecityoflostbooks.glasgow.ac.uk/) when went offline this week and only displayed a ‘database error’.  Usually when this happens it’s a problem with the MySQL database and it takes down all of the sites on the server, but this time it was only Rob’s site that was being affected.  I tried accessing the WP admin pages and this gave a different error about the database being corrupted.   I needed to update the wordpress config file to add the line define(‘WP_ALLOW_REPAIR’, true); and upon reloading the page WordPress attempted to fix the database.  After doing so it stated that “The wp_options table is not okay. It is reporting the following error: Table is marked as crashed and last repair failed. WordPress will attempt to repair this table… Failed to repair the wp_options table. Error: Wrong block with wrong total length starting at 10356”.  WordPress appeared to regenerate the table, as after this the table existed and was populated with data and the blog went online again and could be logged into.  I’ll have to remember this if it happens again in future.

Next week I’ll be back in Glasgow.