Week Beginning 29th March 2021

This was a four-day week due to Good Friday.  I spent a couple of these days working on a new place-names project called Comparative Kingship that involves Aberdeen University.  I had several email exchanges with members of the project team about how the website and content management systems for the project should be structured and set up the subdomain where everything will reside.  This is a slightly different project as it will involve place-name surveys in Scotland and Ireland that will be recorded in separate systems.  This is because slightly different data needs to be recorded for each survey, and Ireland has a different grid reference system to Scotland.  For these reasons I’ll need to adapt my existing CMS that I’ve used on several other place-name projects, which will take a little time.  I decided to take the opportunity to modernise the CMS whilst redeveloping it.  I created the original version of the CMS back in 2016, with elements of the interface based on older projects than this, and the interface now looks pretty dated and doesn’t work so well on touchscreens.  I’m migrating the user interface to the Bootstrap user interface framework, which looks more modern and works a lot better on a variety of screen sizes.  It is going to take some time to complete this migration, as I need to update all of the forms used in the CMS, but I made good progress this week and I’m probably about half-way through the process.  After this I’ll still need to update the systems to reflect the differences in the Scottish and Irish data, which will probably take several more days, especially if I need to adapt the system of automatically generating latitude, longitude and altitude from a grid reference to work with Irish grid references.

I also continued with the development of the Dictionary Management System for the Anglo-Norman Dictionary, fixing some issues relating to how sense numbers are generated (but uncovering further issues that still need to be addressed) and fixing a bug whereby older ‘history’ entries were not getting associated with new versions of entries that were uploaded.  I also created a simple XML preview facility, which allows the editor to paste their entry XML into a text area and for this to then be rendered as it would appear in the live site.  I also made a large change to how the ‘upload XML entries’ feature works.  Previously editors could attach any number of individual XML files to the form (even thousands) and these would then get uploaded.  However, I encountered an issue with the server rejecting so many file uploads in such a short period of time and blocking access to the PC that sent the files.  To get around this I investigated allowing a ZIP file containing XML files to be uploaded instead.  Upon upload my script would then extract the ZIP and process all of the XML files contained therein.  It turns out that this approach worked very well – no more issues with the server rejecting files and the processing is much speedier as it all happens in a batch rather than the script being called each time a single file is uploaded.  I tested the ZIP approach by zipping up all 3,179 XML files from the recent R data update and the Zip file was uploaded and processed in a few seconds, with all entries making their way into the holding area.  However, with this approach there is no feedback in the ‘Upload Log’ until the server-side script has finished processing all of the files in the ZIP, at which point all updates appear in the log at the same time, so there may be a wait of maybe 20-30 seconds (if it’s a big ZIP file) before it looks like anything has happened.  Despite this I’d say that with this update the DMS should now be able to handle full letter updates.

Also this week I added a ‘name of the month’ feature to the homepage of the Iona place-names project (https://iona-placenames.glasgow.ac.uk/) and continued to process the register images for the Books and Borrowing project.  I also spoke to Marc Alexander about Data Management Plans for a new project he’s involved with.