Week Beginning 25 January 2021

I headed into the University for the first time this year on Wednesday this week to collect a new iPad that I’d ordered and to get some files from my office.  It was great to see the old place again, but it did take quite a chunk out of my day to travel there and back, especially as I’m still home-schooling either a morning or an afternoon each day at the moment too.

As with last week, I mainly divided my time this week between the Dictionary of the Scots Language, the Anglo-Norman Dictionary and the Books and Borrowing project, with a few other bits and bobs added in as well.  For the DSL I retrieved the source code for my original Scots School Dictionary app from my office so we can host this somewhere on the DSL website.  This is because the DSL have commissioned someone else to make a new School Dictionary app, which launched this week, but doesn’t include an ‘English to Scots’ feature as the old app does, so we’re going to make the old app available as a website for those people who miss the feature.  I also made a few minor tweaks to the main DSL site, and then focussed on adding bibliography search facilities to the new version of the API, a task that I’d begun last week.

I created a new table for the bibliographical data that includes the various fields used for DOST (note, author, editor, date, longtitle etc) and a field for the XML data used for SND.  I then created two further tables for searching, one that contains every author and editor name for each item (for DOST there may be different names in the author, editor, longauthor and longeditor fields while for SND there may be any number of <author> tags) and the other containing every title for each item (DOST may have different text in title and longtitle while SND items can have any number of <title> tags).  These tables allow you to search for any variant author, editor or title and find the item.

I also created two additional fields in the bibliography table that contain the ‘display author’ and ‘display title’.  These are the forms that get displayed in the search results before you click on an item to open the full bibliographical entry.  I then updated the V4 API to add in facilities to search and retrieve the bibliographies.  I didn’t have the time to connect to this API and to implement the search on the Sienna test site, which is something I hope to do next week, but the logic behind the search and display of bibliographies is all there.  There is a predictive search that will be used to generate the autocomplete list, similar to how the live site currently works:  You will be able to select whether your search is for authors, titles or both and when you start typing in some text a list of matching items will appear, e.g. typing in ‘ham’ for authors in both dictionaries will display the following all items containing ‘ham’ and when you select an item this will then perform a search for the specific text.  You will then be able to click on an item to view the full bibliography.  This is a bit different to how the live site currently works, as with these if you enter ‘ham’ and select (for example) ‘Hamilton, J,’ from the autocomplete list you are taken directly to a page that lists all of the items for the author.  However, we can’t do that any more as we no longer have unique identifiers that group bibliographical items by author.  I may be able to do something similar with the page that comes up when you select an author, but this would have to rely on the name to group items together and a name may not be unique.

For the AND I made some tweaks to the website, such as adding a link to the search page if you type some text into the ‘jump to entry’ option and no matching entries are found.  I then spent the rest of my time continuing to develop the new content management system, specifically the pages for managing source texts.  I finished work on this, adding in facilities to add, edit, browse and delete source texts from the database.  I then migrated the DTD to the new site, which is referenced by the editors’ XML editor when they work on the entry XML files.  The DTD on the old server referenced several lists of things that are then used to populate drop-down lists of options in the XML editor.  I migrated these too, making them dynamically generated from the underlying database rather than statis lists, meaning when (for example) new source texts are added to the CMS these will automatically become available when using the XML editor.

For the Books and Borrowing project I participated in the project’s Zoom call on Monday to discuss the project’s CMS and how to amalgamate the various duplicate author records that resulted from data uploads from different libraries.   After the call I made some required changes to the CMS, such as making the editor’s notes fields visible by default again, and worked on the duplicate authors matching script to add in further outputs when comparing the author names with Levenshtein ratings of 1 and 2.  I also reviewed some content that was sent to us from another library.

Also this week I responded to an email from James Caudle in Scottish Literature about a potential project he’s setting up, made a couple of changes to the Scots Language Policy website, made some tweaks to the menu structure for the Scots Syntax Atlas project and gave some advice to a post-grad student who had contacted me about setting up a corpus.