Week Beginning 11th November 2019

It was another mostly SCOSYA week this week, ahead of the launch of the project that was planned for the end of next week.  However, on Friday this week I bumped into Jennifer who said that the launch will now be pushed back into December.  This is because our intended launch date was the last working day before the UCU strike action begins, and is a bad time to launch the project, for reasons of publicity, engaging with other scholars and risks associated with technical issues that might crop up which might not be able to be sorted until after the strike.  As there’s a general election soon after the strike is due to end, it looks like the launch is going to be pushed back until closer to Christmas.  But as none of this transpired until Friday I still spent most of the week until then making what I thought were last-minute tweaks to the website and fixing bugs that had cropped up during user testing.

This included going through all of the points raised by Gary following the testing session he had arranged with his students in New York the week before, and meeting with Jennifer, E and Frankie to discuss how we intended to act on the feedback, which was all very positive but did raise a few issues relating to the user interface, the data and the explanatory text.

After the meeting I make such tweaks as removing most of the intro text from above the public atlas, but adding in a sentence about how to make the atlas full screen, as this is a feature that I think most users overlook.  I also overhauled the footer, adding in the new AHRC logo, logos for Edinburgh and QMUL and rearranging everything.  I also updated the privacy policy based on feedback from the University’s data protection people. I also updated the styling of the atlas’s menu headers to make them bolder on Macs, adding in links to the project’s API from the Linguists’ atlas and extended the height of the example selection area in the Linguists’ atlas too.  I also slightly tweaked the menu header text (e.g. ‘Search Examples’ is now ‘Search the examples’ to make it clearer that the tab isn’t just a few example searches) and updated the rating selection option to make unselected ratings appear in a very faded grey colour, to hopefully make it more obvious what is selected and what isn’t.  I also updated the legend so that the square grey boxes that previously said ‘no data’ now say ‘Example not tested’ instead.  I also updated the pop-ups accordingly.

I also sent the URL for the public and linguists’ atlases to the other developers in the College of Arts for feedback.  Luca Guariento found a way to break the map, which was good as after some investigation I figured out what was causing the issue and fixed it.  Basically, if you press the ‘top’ button in the footer it jumps to the div with ID ‘masthead’ using HTML’s plain ‘if hash passed show this on screen’ option.  But then if you do a full reload of the page the JavaScript grabs ‘masthead’ from the URL and tries to convert it to a float to pass it to Leaflet and things break.  By ensuring that the ‘jump to masthead’ link is handled in JavaScript rather than HTML I stopped this situation arising.  Stevie Barrett also noted that in Internet Explorer the HTML5 audio player in the pop-ups was too large for the pop-up area, and thankfully by adding in a bit of CSS to set the width of the audio player this issue was resolved.

Also this week I had a further chat with Luca about the API he’s building, and a DMP request that came his way, and arranged for the App and Play store account administration to be moved over the Central IT Services.  I also helped Jane Roberts with an issue with the Thesaurus of Old English and had a chat with Thomas Clancy and Gilbert Markus about the Place-names of Kirkcudbrightshire project, which I set the systems up for last year and is now nearing completion and requiring some further work to develop the front-end.

I also completed an initial version of a WordPress site for Corey Gibson’s bibliography project and spoke to Eleanor Capaldi about how to get some images for her website that I recently set up.  I also spent a bit of time upgrading all of the WordPress sites I manage to the latest version.  Also this week I had a chat with Heather Pagan about the Anglo-Norman Dictionary data.  She now has access to the data that powers the current website and gave me access to this.  It’s great to finally know that the data has been retrieved and to get a copy of it to work with.  I spent a bit of time looking through the XML files, but we need to get some sort of agreement about how Glasgow will be involved in the project before I do much more with it.

I had a bit of an email chat with the DSL people about adding a new ‘history’ field to their entries, something that will happen through the new editing interface that has been set up for them by another company, but will have implications for the website once we reach the point of adding the newly edited data from their new system to the online dictionary.  I also arranged for the web space for Rachel Smith and Ewa Wanat’s project to be set up and spent a bit of time playing around with a new interface and design for the Digital Humanities Network website (https://digital-humanities.glasgow.ac.uk/) which is in desperate need of a makeover.