Week Beginning 23rd September 2019

On Monday this week we had another Arts Developer coffee meeting, which as always was a good opportunity to catch up with my fellow developers in the College of Arts and talk about our work.  On Tuesday I attended a team meeting for the SCOSYA project, where we discussed some of the final things that needed done before the online resource would be ready for the user testing sessions that will take place in the next few weeks.  I spend quite a bit of time implementing these final tweaks during the week.  This included adding in the full map attribution and copyright information in a pop-up that’s linked to from the bottom of the atlas.  I also added it in to the API as well.  After this I changed a number of colours that were used for markers and menu items on both the public and experts atlases and added in some links to help pages and some actual text to the atlas menus to replace the placeholder text.

I also realised that highlighting wasn’t working on the experts ‘home’ map, which was probably a bit confusing.  Implementing this turned out to be rather tricky as highlighting depended on grabbing the location name from the pop-up and then comparing this with the location names in a group.  The ‘Home’ map has no pop-ups so highlighting wouldn’t work.  Instead I had to change things so that the location is grabbed from the tooltip text.  Also, the markers on the ‘Home’ map were actually different types of markers (HTML elements styled by CSS as opposed to SVG shapes) so even though they look the same the highlighting code wasn’t working for them.  I’ve now switched them to SVG shape and highlighting seems to be working now.  It’s even possible to create a group on the ‘Home’ page too.

I also added in a new ‘cite’ menu item to the experts atlas, the allows users to grab a link to their specific map view, formatted in a variety of citation styles.  This updates everytime the ‘cite’ menu is opened, so if the user has changed the zoom level or map centre the citation link always reflects this.  Finally, I created new versions of the atlases (now called ‘atlas’ and ‘linguists atlas’) that will be used for beta testing.

I also spent some time working for the DSL, fixing the ‘sienna’ test version of the website and changing how the quick search works on both test versions of the website.  If the user selects an item from the autocomplete list, the search then performs an exact search for this work, whereas previously it was just matching the characters anywhere in the headword, which didn’t really make much sense.  I also spent quite a bit of time looking through the old DSL editor server to try and track down some files for Rhona.

Also this week I had a chat with Gavin Miller about publicising his new Glasgow Medical Humanities site, set up a researcher in Psychology with an account to create an iOS app, fixed a couple of broken links on the Seeing Speech website and had a lengthy email chat with Heather Pagan about the Anglo-Norman Dictionary data.  We have now managed to access the server and begin to analyse the contents to try and track down the data, and by the end of the week it looked like we might actually have found the full dataset, which is encouraging.  I finished off the week by creating a final ‘Song Story’ for the RNSN project, which took a few hours to implement but is looking pretty good.

I’m going to be out of the office for the next three weeks on a holiday in Australia so there will be no further updates from me for a while.