These weeks seem to be zipping by at an alarming rate! I split most of my time this week between three projects and tackled a few bits and bobs for other projects along the way too. First up in Metaphor in the Curriculum. Last week I created a fully functioning mockup of a metaphor quiz and I’d created three basic interface designs. This week I created a fourth design that is an adaptation of the third design, but incorporates some fairly significant changes. The biggest change is the introduction of a background image – a stock image from the very handy free resource http://www.freeimages.com/. The use of a background image really brightens up the interface and some transparency features on some of the interface elements helps to make the interface look appealing without making it difficult to read the actual content. I also reworked the ‘MetaphorIC’ header text so that the ‘IC’ is in a different, more cursive font and added a ‘home’ button to the header. I think it’s coming together quite nicely. We have another project meeting next week so I’ll probably have a better idea about where to focus next on this project after that.
My next project was the Burns project. Last month Pauline sent round a document listing some fairly major changes to the project website – restructuring sections, changing navigation, layout and page content etc. I set up a test version of the live site and set about implementing all of the changes that I could make without further input from project people. After getting it all working pretty well I contacted Pauline and we arranged to meet on Monday next week to go through everything and (hopefully) make all of the changes live.
The third project I worked on this week was the SCOSYA project and this took up the bulk of my time. Last week Gary had sent me a template of the spreadsheet that the project fieldworkers will fill in and email to Gary. Gary will then need to upload these spreadsheets to an online database through a content management system that I need to create. This week I began working on the database structure and the content management system. The project also wants the usual sort of project website and blog, so first of all I set up WordPress on the project’s domain. I toyed with the idea of making the content management system a WordPress ‘plugin’, but as I want the eventual front-end to be non-Wordpress I decided against this. I also looked into using Drupal for the content management system as Drupal is a tool I feel I ought to learn more about. However, the content management system is going to be very straightforward – just file upload plus data browse, edit and delete and using Drupal or other such tools seemed like overkill to me. I was also reluctant to use a system such as Drupal because they seem to change so rapidly. SCOSYA is a 5 year project (I think!) and my worry is that by the end of the project the version of Drupal that I use would have been superseded, no longer supported and seen as a bad thing to have running on a server. So I decided just to create the CMS myself.
I decided that rather than write all of the user authentication and management stuff myself I would tie this in with the WordPress system that I’d set up to power the project website and blog. After a bit of research I figured out that it is remarkably easy for non-Wordpress scripts to access the WordPress authentication methods so I set up the CMS to use these, following the instructions I found here: http://skookum.com/blog/using-wordpress-as-a-user-and-authentication-database. With this in place SCOSYA staff can manage their user accounts via WordPress and use the same details to access the CMS, which seems very neat.
By the end of the week I had created an upload script that allows you to drag and drop multiple files into the upload pane, for these to be checked both on the client and server side and for a log of uploads to be built up dynamically as each file is processed in a scrolling section beneath the upload pane. I still need to do quite a lot of work on the server-side script in order to extract the actual data from the uploaded files and to insert this data into the relevant tables, but I feel that I have made very good progress with the system so far. I’ll continue with this next week.
Other than these three main projects I was involved with some others. I fixed a few bugs that had crept into the SciFiMedHums bibliographic search facility when I’d updated the functionality of it last week. I slightly tweaked the Medical Humanities Network system to give a user feedback if they try to log in with incorrect details (previously no feedback was given at all). I also contacted John Watt at NeSC to see whether he might be able to help with the extraction of the Hansard data and he suggested I try to do this on the University’s High Performance Compute Cluster. I’ll need to speak with the HPCC people to see how I might be able to use their facilities for the task that needs performed.