This week I continued to work on the projects I’d started work on again last week after launching the three Old English resources. For the Science Fiction and the Medical Humanities project I completed a first draft of all of the management scripts that are required for managing the bibliographic data that will be published through the website. It is now possible to manage all of the information relating to bibliographical items through the WordPress interface, including adding, editing and deleting mediums, themes, people, places and organisations. The only thing it isn’t possible to do is to update the list of options that appear in the ‘connection’ drop-down lists when associating people, places and organisations. But I can very easily update these lists directly through the database and the new information then appears wherever it is required so this isn’t going to be a problem.
Continuing on the Medical Humanities theme, I spent about a day this week starting work on the new Medical Humanities network website and content management system for Megan Coyer. This system is going to be an adaptation of the existing Digital Humanities network system. Most of my time was spent on ‘back end’ stuff like setting up the underlying database, password protecting the subdomain until we’re ready to ‘go live’ and configuring the template scripts. The homepage is in place (but without any content), it is possible to log into the system and the navigation menu is set up, but no other pages are currently in place. I spent a bit of time tidying up the interface, for example adding in more modern looking up and down arrows to the ‘log in’ box, tweaking the breadcrumb layout and updating the way links are styled to bring things more into line with the main University site.
I also spent a bit of time advising staff and undertaking some administrative work. Rhona Brown asked me for some advice on the project she is putting together and it took a little time to formulate a response to her. I was also asked by Wendy and Nikki to complete a staff time allocation survey for them, which also took a bit of time to go through. I also had an email from Adam Zachary Wyner in Aberdeen about a workshop he is putting together and I gave him a couple of suggestions about possible Glasgow participants. I’m also in the process of setting up a conference website for Sean Adams in Theology and have been liaising with the RA who is working on this with him.
Other than these matters the rest of my week was spent on two projects, the Scots Thesaurus and SAMUELS. For the Scots Thesaurus I continued to work on the visualizations. Last week I adapted an earlier visualization I had created to make it ‘dynamic’ – i.e the contents change depending on variables passed to it by the user. This week I set about integrating this with the WordPress interface. I had initially intended to make the visualisations available as a separate tab within the main page. E.g. the standard ‘browse’ interface would be available and by clicking on the visualization tab this would be replaced in page by the visualization interface. However, I realized that this approach wasn’t really going to work due to the limited screen space that we have available within the WordPress interface. As we are using a side panel the amount of usable space is actually quite limited and for the visualizations we need as much screen width as possible. I decided therefore to place the visualizations within a jQuery modal dialog box which takes up 90% of the screen width and height and have provided a button from the normal browse view to open this. When clicked on the visualization now loads in the dialog box, showing the current category in the centre and the full hierarchy from this point downwards spreading out around it. Previously the contents of a category were displayed in a pop-up when the user clicked on a category in the visualization, but this wasn’t ideal as it obscured the visualization itself. Instead I created an ‘infobox’ that appears to the right of the visualization and I’ve set this up so that it lists the contents of the selected category, including words, sources, links through to the DSL and facilities to centre the visualization on the currently selected category or to browse up the hierarchy if the central node is selected. The final thing I added in was highlighting of the currently selected node in the visualization and facilities to switch back to the textual browse option at the point at which the user is viewing the visualization. There is still some work to be done on the visualizations, for example adding in the part of speech browser, sorting out the layout and ideally providing some sort of animations between views, but things are coming along nicely.
However, I have figured out that BookwormGUI is based around the Highcharts.js library (see http://www.highcharts.com/demo/line-ajax) and I’m wondering now whether I can just use this library to connect to the Hansard data instead of trying to get Bookworm working, possibly borrowing some of the BookwormGUI code for handling the ‘limit by’ options and the ‘zoom in’ functionality (which I haven’t been able to find in the highcharts examples). I’m going to try this with the two years of Hansard data that I previously managed to extract, specifically this visualisation style: http://www.highcharts.com/stock/demo/compare. If I can get it to work the timeslider along the bottom would work really nicely.