As usual, when it came to verify the iOS app using distribution certificates and provisioning profiles I got a bunch of errors in XCode. It took ages to get to the bottom of these (it was because the distribution certificate that existed for the University of Glasgow account had been generated by someone in MVLS in May and had been downloaded onto her Mac and I didn’t have a copy of it and you can’t just re-download the certificate, you have to make a new one and then associate it with the provisioning profile and download and install the certificates on your Mac and then ensure you close and reopen XCode for the changes to be registered. Ugh). However, I did finally manage to get the app uploaded to iTunes Connect and I have now submitted it for review. Hopefully it will be approved within the next two weeks.
The process of signing the Android version of the app was less arduous but still took a fair amount of time to finally get right. I must remember to follow these instructions next time: http://developer.android.com/tools/publishing/app-signing.html#signing-manually (although it seems as if help pages relating to app development stop working after a few months when new OS versions get released).
Now I’ve completed the process of creating a STELLA app for Android I really need to get around to updating the three existing apps for iOS and creating Android versions of them too. It shouldn’t be too difficult to do so, but it will take some time and I’m afraid I just don’t have the time at the moment due to all of the other work I need to do.
One of the other major outstanding projects I’m currently working on is the Samuels project, specifically trying to get some visualisations of the semantically tagged Hansard data working. We are using the Bookworm interface for this (see http://bookworm.culturomics.org/) and I’ve been trying to get the code for this working with our data for a while now. It turned out that I needed access to a Linux box to get the software installed and last week Chris McGlashan helpfully said he’d be able to set up a test server for me. On Monday this week he popped by with the box, which is now plugged in and working away in my office. After some initial problems getting through the University proxy I managed to download a handy script that installs all of the components that Bookworm requires (see https://github.com/Bookworm-project/FreshInstallationScript). I then downloaded the Congress data that is used as test data in the documentation (see https://github.com/econpy/congress_api) and followed the steps required to set this up. There were a couple of problems with this that were caused by my test server not having some required zip software installed, but after getting over this I had access to the data. The script that then imports this data into Bookworm is currently running, so I will need to wait and see how that works out before I can proceed further.
Another ongoing project is the Thesaurus of Old English. I’d managed to complete a first version of the new website for this project last week and I’d received some feedback from a couple of people since then and I updated the interface and functionality as a result of this as follows:
- I’ve added some explanatory text to the ‘quick search’ so it’s clearer that you can search for either Old English words or Modern English category headings using the facility. I’ve also included a sentence about wildcards too. This appears both on the homepage and the ‘quick search’ tab of the search page.
- I’ve updated the labels in the ‘advanced search’ tab so ‘word’ now says ‘Old English word’ and ‘category’ now says ‘Modern English words in Category Heading’ to make things clearer.
- I’ve updated the way the search queries for category headings when asterisks are not supplied, both in the ‘quick search’ and in the ‘category’ box of the ‘advanced search’. Now if a user enters a word (e.g. ‘love’) the script searches for all categories where this full word appears – either as the full category name (‘love’) or beginning the category name (‘love from the heart’), the end of the category name (‘great love’) or somewhere in the middle (no example in ‘love’ but e.g. search for ‘fall’: ‘Shower, fall of rain’). It doesn’t bring back any categories where the string is part of a longer word (e.g. ‘lovely, beautiful, fair’ is not found). If the user supplies asterisks at the beginning and/or end of the search term then the search just matches the characters as before.
- I’ve also updated the appearance of the flags that appear next to words. These are now smaller and less bold and I’ve also added in tool-tip help for when a user hovers over them.
What with all of the above going on I didn’t get a chance to do any further work on the Scots Thesaurus or the Sci-Fi Med Hums database, but hopefully I’ll be able to work on these next week. Having said that, I’ve also now received the first set of data for the Old English Metaphor Map, and this also has to ‘go live’ before ISAS at the start of August, so I may have to divert a lot of time to this over the next couple of weeks.