You can view the ‘app’ version of the Grammar tool here:
And the ‘web’ version here:
Also this week I started work on the mockups for the redevelopment of the SCOTS website. So far I have made an updated version of the existing layout. I’m not quite ready to share this yet, but will continue to develop this mockup and another one or two. I also had a chat with Jennifer Smith about a project she is putting together this week as well, and I will be meeting with her next week to take this further.
On Monday I completed my scoping report for the redevelopment of SCOTS. I’ve broken down the work into four stages, the first of which will be to spruce the site design and navigation up a bit, which leaving all the underlying mechanics intact. I hope to be able to complete this stage of the redevelopment before the end of November. Stages two and three will involve reworking the advanced search and the audio / visual material, adding pagination and simplifying the search options for the former and migrating files from Quicktime to HTML5 audio / video for the latter. This will take place next year. The fourth stage will probably require additional funding and the involvement of other people to undertake tasks such as part of speech tagging.
On Tuesday I prepared for and attended a couple of meetings. The first was for the Mapping Metaphor project. The team have now got a really good grasp on the sorts of visualisations they want to use and also have a decent idea of website functionality as well. We had a really productive meeting and it was agreed that I would develop the website and the visualisations. I spent some time after the meeting reading through all of the materials that the team has produced and next week I’ll start thinking about the development of the site.
My second meeting was with Susan Rennie to discuss a bid she is going to write for the AHRC ‘big data’ call. We discussed a few options and Susan is now going to prepare the bid a little further and then I’ll get involved in writing the Technical Plan.
I’m back at work this week after a very relaxing week’s holiday on Skye. The weather was unexpectedly pleasant and there were minimal midges and the scenery was spectacular. So, back to work now. Quite a bit of my time this week was spent taken up with AHRC bid related matters. I guess summer is the time when people like to work on these things because there have been a few flying around. I gave some further input into Nigel Leask’s bid this week, adding some final touches to the Technical Plan and giving feeback on the rest of the bid documents. Nigel’s counterpart in Aberystwyth submitted the bid on Tuesday and now we’ll just need to wait and see if it gets approved. I also worked with Alison Wiggins to prepare a Technical Plan for a follow-on funding bid she is putting together for Bess of Hardwick. I spent a couple of days writing the plan, but unfortunately Alison appears to have run into some issues with the structure of the project and she’s now going to hold off submitting until she has more time to consult the other participants. Nevertheless writing the plan was still very good experience and I’m sure at least parts of it will be able to be reused once the updated bid is reconsidered. I also met with Marc Alexander to discuss a further AHRC bid, this time one relating to the ‘Big Data’ call. The project sounds perfectly suited to the call and will probably involve me in its second phase, if it gets funded. I’ve offered to help with the Technical Plan for this project if needs be, but I think there are already a number of technical people involved in the project.
A new task I began this week was to begin work on the ‘web’ version of the Grammar app. I’ve spent about a day on this so far, but I’m still getting things set up – working with the template files and defining the site structure and navigation paths. It’s slightly tedious work but once it’s done the actual conversion of the pages from ‘app’ to ‘web’ shouldn’t take too long. I also made a few tweaks to the Burns website this week, just simple stuff such as changing names and content.
On Friday I began looking into the SCOTS website and started to create a scoping study for its redevelopment. Wendy would like the site to be brought up to date visually before the REF deadline and I’ve been working out what needs to be updated and how long everything will take. In addition to reworking the site’s design and navigation, there are some bits of functionality that need to be updated and some new functionality that people would like to see included, so there is a substantial amount of work to do. But the visual redesign is the priority for now.